Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Piece fo Advice

Coop Renner, the highly skillful editor of the superb literary zine elimae, offered me this advice to share with you. His heartfelt words are well considering:

Probably one of the very hardest lessons--certainly a hard one for me--is not to write for success, but to write to accomplish what they want to accomplish. If they can begin to see what it is that they imagine for themselves--do they want to create a new form of lyric? do they want to ruminate on their own psyches? do they want to be the Anthony Trollope of the 21st century?--then they can begin to write for the writing itself, rather than for the presumed career success, publications, prizes, acclaim, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Coop Renner's advice is much of what you've been teaching us. I'm no longer writing to be considered "good" or to be successful, I'm writing because its necessary for me, because I just have to do it.